Cost-Sharing Agreement May Lead to Restoration of West Maui Reef
Author: Lila Fujimoto
Source: Maui News
September 5, 2012
"Hopes are being raised for restored health of one of the most severely impacted coral reefs in the state in West Maui, with the signing Tuesday of a $3 million state and federal cost-sharing agreement to develop a watershed plan for the West Maui "Ridge to Reef" Initiative.
The initiative is one of the first efforts in the state to implement a comprehensive management strategy to address impacts to coral reefs across multiple watersheds, according to a news release from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Honolulu.
The agency is contributing 75 percent of the funding for the initiative, with the state Department of Land and Natural Resources providing the other 25 percent."
To read the full text of this aricle, click here.