National and Regional Coral Reef CSI Training Workshops
|CSI Home | Products | Workshops | CSI Team||
Introduction and Ethos
The Coral Reef CSI training program is a unique five-day field-based training workshop taught in, around, and adjacent to, the near shore coral reef waters at each location. The workshops involve a series of lectures and demonstrations related to the relatively new field of coral reef forensic investigations, along with hands-on field crime scene investigations guided by international professionals in wildlife enforcement, coral reef ecology, and marine natural resource investigation.
The intensive training program draws upon the 290-page Coral Reef CSI Toolkit. Participants are given the opportunity to practice techniques and equipment use in a series of land based exercises prior to in-water impact scenarios. Role-play within a mock CSI team is also used as a tool to develop participants' awareness and skills relating to each stage of the investigation process. Building on this, participants also take part in a mock prosecution trial conducted under courtroom conditions, to provide first-hand experience and develop understanding of the common shortfalls of natural resource evidence collection and presentation processes.
The workshops gather participants from a wide field of expertise including academics, resource managers, Litigators, enforcement officers and others. Key observers may also be invited to the workshops to raise the profile of the need and importance of practical and applied training in investigation and enforcement methodologies.
Some of the major topics covered in the workshop include:
* Introduction to Crime Scene Investigations (CSI) on coral reefs
* Setting an event perimeter and securing the scene
* Coral reef investigation field kits
* Conducting Rapid Ecological Assessments (REAs) to support investigations
* Sampling for coral reef laboratory forensics
* Collecting physical evidence underwater & documenting damage
* Chain-of-custody issues
Types of Workshops
• Standard CRCSI - This is the original 5-day training workshop focused on a wide variety of human impact events where a responsible party can be held accountable through documentation and evidence collection (See Sample Workshop Schedule).
• Illegal Marine Wildlife Trade Field Investigation - Geared towards marine enforcement and fisheries officers and focused on conducting field investigations associated with destructive fishing, poaching, and illegal movement of protected species and marine products (See Sample Workshop Schedule).
• Field Contaminant Assays - Paired with standard CRCSI and focused towards field identification of marine contaminants using fast, inexpensive, field-portable assays.
• Sea Turtle Field Forensics - Geared towards field documentation and evidence collection from sea turtle take and habitat damage sites (See Sample Workshop Schedule).
• Vessel Grounding CRCSI - Expanded Standard CRCSI to focus specifically on field investigation of primary and secondary impacts from large vessel groundings; includes documentation of lost ecological service value and use of habitat equivalency analysis.
• MPA Enforcement Field Investigations - Focused towards marine enforcement and MPA officers and geared towards field investigations towards violations within marine protected areas.
• Oil Spill Field Investigation - Focused on field investigation of primary and secondary impacts from nearshore, discrete oil spills.
To read about our CSI Belize workshop featured in E-Current, click here.
For more information about regional workshops, please contact email@example.com.